- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp water
- ¾ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh leafy herbs of choice (basil, cilantro, and/or mint)
- 3 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 3 tsp dried)
- 3 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 Tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 lbs skirt steak
How to make it
- Place all of the ingredients (except the steak) in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Pulse until well combined. The sauce should be course in texture and assertive in flavor. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove ½ cup of the sauce and reserve for serving with the cooked meat.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish and cover with the remaining sauce, coating all sides. Let the steak marinate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate and the meat to come to room temperature, which ensures even cooking. Or, cover with plastic and refrigerate, and take out 30 minutes before ready to cook.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Brush the excess chimichurri sauce off the steak, pat it dry and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- When the grill is hot, cook the steak, about 6-7 minutes per side for medium rare (12-14 minutes total).
- Place the cooked steak on a cutting board or plate, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Serve with reserved sauce.