- 1 1/2 pounds pinto beans
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the beans in a large bowl, cover with cold water and let soak overnight or use canned beans.
- Drain and rinse the beans, then put them in a large pot.
- Cover the beans with water and add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, onion, bell pepper and some salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook until the beans are tender, 2 to 3 1/2 hours.