- 1- 16 oz (450g) block of firm tofu
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 TbS of honey
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cans of 28 oz (796 ml) diced Italian tomatoes (with the juice)
- salt and pepper
1 Grind the tofu in a food processor or with a fork. Set aside.
2 In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables begin to soften (about 15 minutes). Add oil if needed.
3 Add the tofu, soy sauce,honey, minced garlic, basil, oregano, crushed red peppers and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan regularly, for 45 minutes.
4 Uncover and continue cooking 30 minutes or until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5 Serve over the whole wheat or edamame pasta of your choice.